geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Jeremy Boynes" <jer...@coredevelopers.net>
Subject RE: committers (again)
Date Wed, 10 Sep 2003 04:49:14 GMT

The door is open, but everyone is milling around in confusion. Let's fix
it.

> > reality, many of the project management issues have arisen
> because the
> > current committers are not used to working together and are
> new to the
> > Apache Way.  With the initial startup phase behind us, we will be
> > looking to expand the project rapidly over the next couple
> of months.
>
> There are few true barriers to adding committers. The notion
> of "current committers are not used to working together" is a
> red herring. You're already working with the community at
> large. It has nothing to do with the current set of committers.

I don't think it's a red herring, I think it is a major part of the
confusion. None of the folks new to Apache really know how it is
supposed to work and, as I understand it, are tasked with the
responsibility of deciding. IIRC only one person, ever, at ASF has had
commit revoked, which should make granting it a decision not to be taken
lightly.

> I would recommend coming up with, say, a list of four people
> and submit that list to pmc@incubator for consideration. How
> about by end of week?

Do we do this in public, or private?

This is not a cathedral question, but an attempt to handle the case
where someone gets proposed, someone -1's the proposal and has to
justify it - how do we avoid embarrassing or humiliating a contributor?

> If you don't want to do this, then let's hear a discussion
> about why. My previous emails on this subject have gone
> unanswered. :-(

We do want to do it (at least I do) - and we could use some guidance
from the PMC.

--
Jeremy