geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "n. alex rupp" <rupp0...@umn.edu>
Subject Re: [newbie] JMX Console - where to start?
Date Wed, 03 Sep 2003 05:36:48 GMT
Hey, guys.

There isn't any documentation on this console yet, save for that which is
provided within the code and a few correspondences in the MX4J archives and
now below.  I only spent a few days working on it, but I've been thinking
about the JMX console and management interface for several months.

Sorry I haven't been posting much lately.  I have a friend from Moscow whose
grandparents just won permanent US resident status through a lottery.  Since
they've been subsistence farming in Tashkent for 20 years they leapt at the
chance to retire here in the States with their grandson.  But unfortunately
my friend was about to leave for a two year graduate program in Toronto.  I
promised him I'd look after them and convinced my roommates to let them live
here at our house.  They don't speak any English yet but holy cow that lady
can cook!

Also, the network at my house has been mysteriously dropping packets and was
due for a complete overhaul.  That's taken up quite a bit of my time in the
last few days, so I apologize for not answering this thread earlier.

<nar:wikiable>

The JMX web console exists to simplify the operation of the Geronimo server
by providing the end user with an intuitive, flexible, lightweight interface
to the JMX manageable resources inside Geronimo.  It also must be
maintainable, so that future generations of developers can keep it alive.
The user interface must be intuitive or it fails its first objective.  If it
is flexible users will be able to customize its basic appearance to suit
their needs--and we'll be able to change the look if we ever want to. CSS is
heavily relied upon for this.  The UI must remain lightweight (thin client)
in order to rapidly evolve to the changing needs of the users.  Therefore,
all logical formatting mechanisms will be encapsulated in a custom JSP tag
library.  Custom JSP tag libraries and CSS separate the concerns of
developers and designers so they can each focus on their tasks.

In the beginning, the interface will assist with basic JMX debugging.  It
will present the contents of the JMX server in a clear and straightforward
manner for the Geronimo developers.

Later, the interface will be able to configure Geronimo's local manageable
resources and provide a means to monitor active resources.  Eventually, it
will assist with the configuration and management of remote resources and
server clusters.

I've figured out a pretty clever way to instantiate and configure manageable
resources and store them on the client for use in the web console (so that
one can test JMX invocations through the web UI directly without relying on
a persistence framework) but this will be an optional feature, as will some
of the advanced UI components for monitoring resources.  For now, the
primary functionality of the console is to help Geronimo's developers.

Finally, the JMX web console adheres to the JMX spec but is much more than a
"JMX Client"  There will be many parts of the application which are not
specified in any JSR and will be unique to the needs of the Geronimo
project, such as aesthetic requirements which cannot be automated.  It is
not my intent to copy the UI features and innovations of other products on
the market.  If we focus on identifying and addressing the needs of the
users we shouldn't need to steal anyone's UI ideas.  I'm sure they're great
ideas but I'm also sure we can do better.  If end users of the console
suggest important features, though, I'll always consider them.

That said, if anyone has suggestions or specific questions about the
console, I'd love to hear them--developers and users alike.  If anyone is
interested in adding any UI components, they can post some comps (of their
own design) to the list here and we'll go over them together.  New UI
features should be presented from the perspective of the end user.

</nar:wikiable>

I'll be rolling out another release of the code in the next couple of days,
which will allow developers to introspect MBeans.  At that point I believe
the console will perform enough of its first objective to warrant inclusion
in the codebase, but I'll leave that decision to the committers : )

I hope you're all doing well and I'm glad to be back online.

Cheers,
--
N. Alex Rupp (n_alex_rupp@users.sf.net)