geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Siva" <s...@sivasundaram.com>
Subject Re: How to Contribute
Date Mon, 22 Sep 2003 05:47:51 GMT
Hi Guys,
    Welcome aboard.I would suggest the following steps

1) Lurk in the geronimo newsgroup for sometime.Download the code from CVS
    and try to understand the holistic view of the project.Start reading the
various specs
    needed for an J2EE server

2) Start identifying the areas where you think geronimo needs more
    help(you can see the TODO list) and which you are comfortable to work
with.

3) Inform the group of your intentions to work in the area.If someone
    already started working on it,they can share the work with you(If they
want)
    else you can start working on them.This is just to avoid duplicating the
efforts.

4) Test your changes by compiling the entire codebase and ensuring all the
tests run.
    Dont ever submit a patch which breaks the code.

5) Submit the code as patch.The committers will review and commit

IMO,the best way to bootstrap is,writing unit test cases for the code
base.Identify the areas
where there arent any tests or the coverage of the test is poor.Unit tests
are the easiest way
to contribute without messing up the thing.It gradually helps you to
understand the bits and pieces
of the system.

    Do remember a thing.In OS projects, verey rarely,i have seen the concept
of work being assigned
to others like how it is done in a corporate world.Here you are the boss.You
take up a piece of code,
do the best you can do with it and publish it.Dont wait for someone to say
"Guys,fix that piece of code",cos
that will rarely happen :)

Regards
Siva