geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Matt Kurjanowicz" <mkurj...@cc.gatech.edu>
Subject RE: [newbie] JMX Console - where to start?
Date Tue, 02 Sep 2003 02:38:17 GMT
The Wiki looks good.
I added a few sections, one about a Swing/SWT client, and another about
abstracting the client layer out of JMX.  This would be kind of like
creating a management middleware.  That way, the client would only
become a front-end to this middleware, and it would be relatively easy
to build a client for this middleware (be it Command Line, Web,
Swing/SWT, Applet, whatever).  The command structure would actually be
client independent.  This would facilitate a few things:
* Any client could be built that would use this middleware to perform
the commands of the server
* A deployer of the Geronimo Server could write their own custom
Management console (if they don't like what's been developed) without
having to know the intricacies of the JMX and the Geronimo backend.
* New clients, as needed, could focus on the presentation of the JMX
data rather than the collection of it. * The abstraction of the
management out of the direct hands of a developer.  This could allow
Geronimo to employ stricter security.
OR
* The Client can still talk JMX to anything if it wants

A little more clarification:

                                      <-JMX-> OTHER ITEMS
CLIENT <-CUSTOM CODE-> MANAGEMENT_API <-JMX-> COMPONENTS
                                      <-JMX-> SERVICES

This looks an awful lot like rewriting JMX, but the way that this is
different is by making it easy for the CLIENT to talk to the services
and Geronimo components, without having to know exactly how they are all
managed.  (something like
(not exactly)
ManagementCommunicator.startService("SERVICE_NAME");
ManagementCommunicator.startServer();
ManagementCommunicator.getServerStatus();
ManagementCommunicator.getComponentStatus("COMPONENT_NAME"); )

What do y'all think about this?

I know some parts of this are redundant...sorry.
-Matt
mkurjano at cc.gatech.edu