geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Matt Kurjanowicz" <>
Subject RE: [newbie] JMX Console - where to start?
Date Mon, 01 Sep 2003 21:24:32 GMT
As far as which angle (command line, web, etc.), I'm interested in any
of those.  Is Twiddle what you are talking about on the command line?

Expanding the Tomcat code sounds like a really interesting idea, but I'm
not familiar with the code behind it.

I am not completely familiar with JMX and JSR -77 and -88, but I am
definitely willing to learn.  To be completely honest, I'm really new at
J2EE stuff, but have lots of time and willingness to learn, so I've been
playing around with different J2EE components, but nothing spectacular
so far.

Thanks for your help,
Matt Kurjanowicz

-----Original Message-----
From: Aaron Mulder []
Sent: Monday, September 01, 2003 4:30 PM
Subject: Re: [newbie] JMX Console - where to start?

	There is a bit of code in place already for a command-line
interface, which could be used to implement command-line JMX management
for Geronimo (indeed, there's already a sample command that starts the
server).  If you'd like pursue the command-line angle, I can give you
more detail.

	I believe there was talk of extending the Tomcat 5 web UI for
management for Geronimo, if you're interested in the web angle.  There
also some OpenEJB code that could be drawn on here.  I know little about

either, but there are others on the list who could certainly tell you

	If you're thinking of a Swing sort of management console, I
think anything concrete has even been proposed.

	In any case, are you familiar with JMX, JSR-77, and JSR-88

P.S. No design specs as such, though there are occasional formulated
in the mail archive and/or the Wiki.  This is not to say a more
approach to design would be turned down.

On Mon, 1 Sep 2003, Matt Kurjanowicz wrote:
> Hi there,
> I'm really interested in getting involved, and have been reading the
> mailing list and looking thru the code for a little while, and now I'm
> itching to get my hands dirty.
> I'd really like to get involved in the JMX management console.  Where
> a good place to start?  Has there been any code written for it yet?
> about any design specs?  If so, where can I find these? And if not,
> anyone have any ideas in there head of what it should encompass that
> they're willing to throw out there?
> Thanks,
> Matt Kurjanowicz

View raw message