geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Sean Hamblett" <>
Subject Re: [JNDI] [Config] Configuration: flat file or registry?
Date Mon, 11 Aug 2003 17:21:09 GMT

     I don't know if this will help, but I have been
working with iPlanet/Sun ONE, and if I remember correctly
(this comes from the marketing types) there is a
configuration feature that allows the configuration to be
in both places.  The flat file is offered as a defelopment
solution, and allows configurations to be shared easily
between servers.  I believe there is some continuity
between both, where the registry can be loaded via file,
and can be dumped to file.  I don't know if this strategy
will help, or just create noise.  Sorry if the latter.

  Alex Blewitt <> wrote:
>I kicked off a thread suggesting configuration
>information may be stored in a registry-based system
>instead of a flat-file/xml-based format, which provoked
>some interesting comments and discussions.
>I've created a few pages to capture this in:
>and put comments that have been made by others in there.
>Ideally, I'd like people to review the first couple and
>add any other advantages/disadvantages/wishlist items
>inside there.

View raw message