geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Mulder <ammul...@alumni.princeton.edu>
Subject [XML Parsing]
Date Sun, 31 Aug 2003 18:34:28 GMT
On Sun, 31 Aug 2003, Jeremy Boynes wrote:
> Where are we on XML parsing?

	I'd like to resolve that too.  I've worked a bit with both Castor
and XMLBeans on the deployment stuff, and here's what I've come up with:

 - Castor produces plain Java objects, with another layer of XML info
objects that can be essentially ignored at runtime (they're used only
under the covers)

 - XMLBeans produces richer objects, which know the name of the document
they came from, support XPath queries, and so on, but also have a lot more
in them than seems strictly necessary, and code is generated in at least
one cryptic package other than the one(s) you're targeting.

 - Castor appears to depend on overriding the Xerces version in the JDK
(for 1.4.2)

 - I can't get XMLBeans to actually load a document right now (due to some
kind of missing file dependency?)

 - Castor has a smaller runtime library (over 1MB, but about 1/2 the size
of XMLBeans)

 - XMLBeans is in the process of moving from BEA to Apache, but at last
notice the source wasn't imported and the build script wasn't working.  On
the other hand the current download from BEA appears to be covered by a
BSD license.

 - reportedly Castor won't generate object for the full J2EE schema, while
XMLBeans will, and JAXB will (painfully) [from James]

 - I know nothing else about JAXB

 - Castor is currently integrated into the build scripts (for Twiddle and
the Geronimo EJB DD schema), while XMLBeans isn't quite (the code is there
but the scripts need to be tweaked a bit)

	I hope James will speak up, because I think he has more experience
with JAXB and XMLBeans and the J2EE schema issue.  I have a slight
preference for Castor (since it and the beans it generates are both
lighter weight), but I'm willing to go with XMLBeans if we can resolve the
problem reading XML into objects and it's the only way to get the J2EE
schema out (and the XPath feature seems likely to be pretty handy too).

	Bottom line, I'd like to be able to just make a decision and move
forward.

Aaron