geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Bruce Snyder <fer...@frii.com>
Subject Re: CR/LF cleansing
Date Sun, 31 Aug 2003 14:15:44 GMT
This one time, at band camp, Daniel S. Haischt said:

DSH>Jim Wright wrote:
DSH>
DSH>[...]
DSH>
DSH>> Sounds like we need a line in CVSROOT/commitinfo.
DSH>
DSH>really? the CRLF (M$ Windows) vs. LF (UNIX) isn't
DSH>that chalenging (at least for professional developers).
DSH>
DSH>see Bill de hÓra's blog entry [1] or a CVS discussion on
DSH>livejournal.com [2]. my bet is that some of you are using
DSH>cygwin and during install they checked the 'UNIX text file
DSH>type' option instead of the 'DOS text file type' option,
DSH>which causes cygwin to mount your drives in binmode instead
DSH>of textmode.
DSH>
DSH>so the possible solutions would be ...
DSH>
DSH>  a) mount your drives in textmode
DSH>  b) get a _real_ UNIX/Linux system
DSH>  c) use WinCVS instead of the cygwin comand line
DSH>     cvs binary.
DSH>
DSH>[1] http://www.dehora.net/journal/archives/000330.html
DSH>[2] http://www.livejournal.com/users/aegisknight/63356.html

Agreed. This must be solved at the *client* CVS level, especially
if you're using the Cygwin CVS CLI. But, I'm surprised that nobody
has suggested writing an Ant target using the FixCRLF core task
(http://ant.apache.org/manual/CoreTasks/fixcrlf.html) in addition to
any client side CVS fixing.

Bruce

The Castor Project