geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Alex.Blew...@ioshq.com
Subject Re: [moving-code] org.apache.management.j2ee.* back to core
Date Tue, 19 Aug 2003 00:31:45 GMT
On Mon, 18 Aug 2003, Dain Sundstrom wrote:

> This is the one that really threw me... Why do we have a
> org.apache.management.j2ee package?  This is outside of our project
> space and should be at least org.apache.geronimo.management, and
> without the j2ee as it is redundant because geronimo is a j2ee server.

There was a discussion regarding these packages and what they should be
called. The discussion at hand (as I recall) was that there needed to be
a clear differentiation between the JSR77? and JMX packages, which is why
the package J2EE Management was created; see JSR77:
http://www.jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=77

> The other thing is these classes are not part of the spec so should not
> be in the spec tree at all.  I will be moving these back to core.

Are they not an implementation of the spec? From what I recall of the
discussions of JSR77, there were untyped interfaces that relied solely on
naming conventions in order to work. I recall that some generic
implementations were created to satisfy those naming conventions, but as
you say, they are not part of the 'official' interface.

All this is IIRC, because I wasn't involved with the JSR77 stuff, just
dredging up thoughts from the back of my mind.

Alex.

|*       Alex Blewitt       * Hug, and the world hugs with you *|
|*  Alex.Blewitt@ioshq.com  *                                  *|
|* Mobile: +44 7966 158 647 *    Spread a little happiness     *|