geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Mulder <ammul...@alumni.princeton.edu>
Subject Re: [core] why org.apache.geronimo.enterprise.deploy.provider package?
Date Tue, 19 Aug 2003 02:40:45 GMT
	The enterprise.deploy package is currently the JSR-88 area.  We
used enterprise.deploy to distinguish from "deployment", which seems to be
server component deployment instead of application deployment.

	As for "provider", it's to distinguish it from the tool side,
which will be used for management consoles, etc. and from the objects
(generated by Castor into "common" in the pending patch) that represent
that actual J2EE component metadata (the object representation of the DDs,
in other words) and from the stuff (currently not implemented) that will
actually do the work of deployment on the server side.

	I think the provider stuff should remain separate from
"deployment"  because its only a JSR-88 implementation -- it's the GUI
logic (and potentially widgets) that a tool will use.  It's full of
JavaBeans (particularly if you look at the xxxBeanInfo classes in the
pending patch), and they all have to be packaged together and separately
from most everything else in order to be distributed to tools (the patch
also creates a JAR out of these classes, with a manifest full of bean
declarations and so on).

	Finally, if you repackage everything without looking at my patch
first, I'll...  I'll...  I'll send it a fourth time!  But if you are going
to repackage it, some of it probably ought to go in a different module,
not just a different package.

Aaron