geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Bruce Snyder <fer...@frii.com>
Subject Re: JDBC
Date Fri, 15 Aug 2003 20:34:29 GMT
This one time, at band camp, Aaron Mulder said:

AM>	What's the advantage to supporting JDBC through JCA?  Is it that
AM>JCA requires logic to deal with associating with transactions and
AM>security, and if JDBC works through that we don't have to implement the
AM>same features twice?  Or are there other considerations?
AM>
AM>Aaron
AM>
AM>On Fri, 15 Aug 2003, David Jencks wrote:
AM>> IMNSHO jdbc support should be through the JCA (connector) support and
AM>> jca-jdbc wrappers.
AM>>
AM>> I think jca should be a separate module ("connector")
AM>>
AM>> AFAIK the only specific communication with the ejb subsystem needed can
AM>> be provided by an interceptor that makes sure connection handles get
AM>> re-associated under the correct security context.

I agree completely with David on this one. JCA will provide Geronimo
with many benefits at the connector level of the resoure adapter
such as pooling, transactions and security.

JCA 1.5 introduces the concept of inbound connectors which introduce
some new and extremely powerful contracts. There are four new contracts
including message inflow, transaction inflow, lifecycle management and
work management.

- The message inflow contract supports the asynchronous delivery of
  messages without concern for the messaging protocol. This means no
  more restriction to JMS messaging only.

- The transaction inflow contract supports the propagation of an imported
  transaction from outside the app server.

- The lifecycle management contract introduces the start and stop of a
  resource adapter.

- The work management contract provides optional support for thread management
  by the app server.

IMNSHO, these service are absolutely necessary when developing
Geronimo. It means that many core services can become JCA connectors
and reap the benefits of the JCA contracts.

OK, I'll step off of my soapbox now ;-).

Bruce

The Castor Project
http://www.castor.org/

Apache Geronimo