geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Bruce Snyder <fer...@frii.com>
Subject Re: coding conventions
Date Fri, 15 Aug 2003 17:53:33 GMT
This one time, at band camp, Brian Behlendorf said:

BB>On Fri, 15 Aug 2003, Robert Stupp wrote:
BB>> Code formatting could be performed through a "plugin" on the server side
BB>> of CVS, which formats the Java code on each commit. So nobody would have
BB>> to take care of code formatting.
BB>
BB>Nooooo.  Server-side munging of content is error-prone and bad form.
BB>Your version control repository should be used as little more than a
BB>glorified versioning file system, where what you've got in your working
BB>copy (and what you check in) is what's in the repos.  $Id$ tags, etc.,
BB>notwithstanding.

I fully agree with Brian. The version control system should have no hand
in this type of operation. This type of thing could be enforced using
Maven using Jalopy or something similar. Are we interested in enforcing
a certain amount of coding standards via Jalopy? It uses the BSD license.

Bruce

The Castor Project
http://www.castor.org/

Apache Geronimo