geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Mulder <ammul...@alumni.princeton.edu>
Subject RE: J2EE DeploymentManager ( was J2EE deployment verifier)
Date Wed, 13 Aug 2003 20:12:26 GMT
On Wed, 13 Aug 2003, Chris Opacki wrote:
> That's exactly it! My bad for not being a bit more
> verbose. The DConfig objects are actually constructed
> from the DDBeans. Which makes me believe we want to be
> using RMI if we load the DDBeans remotely. Maybe we
> can try to more than one strategy to see what is best.
> It does appear that there would be a 1 to 1
> relationship between DDBean and the
> DConfigBeans...lots of stuff...

	Well, let me go on, then.  Let's say we're deploying an EJB "Foo"
with an EJB Reference to another EJB "Bar" (with the reference named
ejb/Bar), and both are in the same EJB JAR, but inexplicably don't use
an ejb-link.

	The tool side should provide a DDBeanRoot for ejb-jar.xml in the
EJB JAR, with DDBeans for each EJB, for the EJB Reference, and for other
tags in the ejb-jar.xml.  (I just fat-fingered that to jar-jar.xml and had
a horrible flashback, but that's a different story.)

	When the tool wants to configure this for Geronimo, it gets a
DeploymentManager, and then says, more or less, "dear deployment manager,
I have this nice EJB JAR represented by [DDBeanRoot], please give me a
DConfigBeanRoot that represents the information your product needs in
order to configure this EJB JAR."

	So Geronimo would prepare a DConfigBean tree that has, let's say,
the root, a DConfigBean for each EJB, and a DConfigBean for the EJB
reference.  The DConfigBeans matching each EJB have properties to set the
JNDI name.  The DConfigBean matching the EJB reference has a variety of
properties -- an option for the JNDI name to map the EJB ref to, as well
as JNDI context configuration properties in case the bean is in a
different server.

	Now, since presumably the user is working on all this at the same
time in the tool, let's say they resolve the EJB Reference from Foo to Bar
by configuring a JNDI name for Bar and then mapping the reference to Bar's
JNDI name.  But now they go back and change the EJB name of Bar to Alice.
This would invalidate the DConfigBeans, which presumably are holding
something like this under the covers:

Foo -> JNDI name "myapp.Foo"
Bar -> JNDI name "myapp.Bar"

	So there's a mechanism for the DConfigBeans to "listen for
changes" on particular DDBeans.  Thus, when the user changes the EJB name
of "Bar" to "Alice", the "Bar" DConfigBean gets notified, rereads the
properties of the DDBean formerly known as "Bar", and updates its internal
data model to something like:

Foo -> JNDI name "myapp.Foo"
Alice -> JNDI name "myapp.Bar"

	And then the user can go and update the JNDI setting for Alice in
the Alice DConfigBean screen.  Or, the user can now delete Alice
altogether, in which case the server side had better delete its Alice
DConfigBean, so the DConfigBeanRoot contains only a DConfigBean for Foo.

	So that's why the tool's DDBean implementation has to be able to
fire XPathEvents for the DConfigBeans, and why DConfigBeans want to
listen for events on specific XPaths.

	Also, all this work is going on in the JVM of the tool.  The tool
is directly invoking DConfigBeans which are present in the tool's space.
If the DConfigBeans have to communicate with the server, that's something
they handle under the covers, and it's all irrelevant to the tool, which
just introspects the DConfigBeans that it's been given.  So the tool
doesn't need any RMI or anything.

	Make sense?

Aaron