geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Mulder <ammul...@alumni.princeton.edu>
Subject RE: J2EE DeploymentManager ( was J2EE deployment verifier)
Date Wed, 13 Aug 2003 18:39:20 GMT
On Wed, 13 Aug 2003, Chris Opacki wrote:
> I haven't checked out the license yet. Are the classes
> in CVS?

	This is exactly the point -- they're not in CVS because we don't
think the license allows us to put them in CVS.  Can you check the license
and report back?

> I have started downloading all of the related specs to
> collect all of that information.
>
> It is a requirement for the Tool side to work connect
> and not connected. I am assuming this will require
> remote access to the serverside of the API.

	As I said below, "we also need to figure out how the JSR-88 impl
will communicate with the server, since they're typically run in different
JVMs, if not on different machines altogether."  But you shouldn't refer
to this as "the tool side".  The tool side is completely unrelated to what
we're discussing here.  The tool side is responsible for presenting the
user interface.  The server side is responsible for telling the tool side
what configuration options are available, as well as doing the real work
(deploying, etc.), and the server side is what needs to run remotely in
connected or disconnected mode.  Though it could be split so part of it
runs remotely and part always runs on the app server, or something like
that, if we didn't just want to make network calls to JMX or whatever the
server infrastructure ends up being.

Aaron