geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Bruce Snyder <fer...@frii.com>
Subject Re: [Testing] Testing
Date Tue, 12 Aug 2003 16:00:52 GMT
This one time, at band camp, Alex Blewitt said:

AB>I think you'll end up with a situation where a spec-test developer will
AB>just put in the section-number, since that's essentially what
AB>highlights it. Also, if the section is prefixed with a document name
AB>(J2EE_1.4-4.2.7) then you can pretty much get rid of everything else.
AB>
AB>I agree that having everything self-contained is good, but I can't see
AB>developers caring about typing in chapter-name and section-name each
AB>time they need a test. It should be relatively easy to put the sections
AB>in a properties file listing each of them and just do a lookup (using
AB>J2EE_1.4-4.2.7 as a key in a properties file)
AB>
AB>  :
AB>J2EE_1.4-4.2.7=J2EE 1.4: Transaction Management (Transactional JDBC
AB>Technology Support)
AB>  :
AB>J2EE_1.4-6.17=J2EE 1.4: Java Management Extensions
AB>  :

Another very good point which has made me rethink the idea completely. How
about a cross reference which contains all the metadata?

AB>> I agree that there needs to be a measuring stick of sorts for
AB>> determining
AB>> how much further we need to go. But the idea is that the inclusion of
AB>> the
AB>> section-number adds the ability to view a report and easily see gaps in
AB>> the section numbers. I'll be honest that I don't care to volunteer for
AB>> going through each spec and making a list of the tests. Maybe someone
AB>> else is interested in performing this task.
AB>
AB>I know the feeling :-)
AB>
AB>Anyway, instead of having to type chapter-title-section-name each time,
AB>I've munged the J2EE 1.4 ToC and prepared the attached properties file.
AB>Should save developers having to type in the lot each time.
AB>
AB>The Doclet can then weave the section number in and lookup entries in
AB>the keyset. Should also be able to do sufficient sorting so that it can
AB>order things by chapter and title anyway, since they're encoded in the
AB>key itself.

Right idea, but what about the rest of the metadata? I don't think that
parsing a TOC and a metadata file is the right approach. I vote for
housing it all together in an XML file ala JMSCTS (http://jmscts.sf.net/)
as suggested by Tim Anderson in the next message in this thread.

Bruce