geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <>
Subject Re: Author Tags
Date Tue, 12 Aug 2003 01:09:13 GMT

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003, Greg Stein wrote:

> Exactly. And even for the case where the change/commit came from somebody
> else, that will (should) be noted in the log message. You can always find
> out who wrote any particular change.

CVS change/commit logs don't go into the javadoc, which is often the major
way in which a user looks at the code.

> > Also, I think author tags are a way that code gets 'assigned' to
> > someone, and I would like to avoid the problem of code ownership that I
> > have seen in other open source project I have worked on.  Although, I
> > think the Apache system is designed to reduce the impact of such
> > problems, I think not having author tags will help.

Code ownership is bad. But only in terms of the old corporate concept that
only Mr X can change a piece of code. Code responsibility is important
however. I've found that when you throw away code ownership, you often end
up with no one caring.

Code responsibility means that even though anyone may leap in and hack on
a piece, the long term future of a piece of code is the responsibility of
known people. Effectively code-ownership [bad] is implementation while
code responsibility [good] is design. Author tags signify code

View raw message