geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Bruce Snyder <fer...@frii.com>
Subject Re: LDAP Support in Geronimo
Date Mon, 11 Aug 2003 16:15:51 GMT
This one time, at band camp, Richard Monson-Haefel said:

RM>It would be interesting to find out how fast LDAPd's embedded lookup facility
RM>is. If its fast, it would make sense to eventually use it for the JNDI
RM>Environment Naming Context.  However, I still feel that having something quick
RM>and lightweight now - a stopgap if you will - is better than waiting for LDAPd
RM>to reach its first release.

LDAP is designed to be extremely fast when performing lookups and IMHO
would be a fine choice as one of the implementations. I've worked with
LDAP in the past and been very impressed by it's performance on digging
through even a very sizable directory. However, the flip side of the coin
is that inserts are not nearly as fast as lookups. But inserts into any
type of persistence repository (LDAP, SQL, file, etc.) is always slower
due to the fact that they're I/O bound.

RM>That said, embedding a LDAP server into Geronimo would provide a solution for a
RM>variety of problems, least of which is the JNDI ENC. It would be the nexus of an
RM>authentication/authorization system and security domain administration. In
RM>addition, it can be used for configuration and would make an excellent service
RM>in its own right -- especially if its accessible intraVM as well as interVM.  It
RM>could also be used as the CORBA Naming service, support for which is required by
RM>the EJB specification.

Very true. A JNDI lookup abstracts the backing mechanism. This is very
powerful because it gives us the ability to implement an innumerable
amount of solutions on the backend, all of which use JNDI as the lookup
API. This would really satisfy many different requirements for many
different industries, too, because not everyone can deal with LDAP.

RM>Personally, I hope that LDAPd is accepted into the Incubator so that we can plan
RM>on incorporating into the Geronimo project (provided it works and survives the
RM>incubator process).

+1 ;-)

RM>Whether or not we end up using LDAPd, Geronimo should be designed so that LDAP
RM>servers of any make are plugable at some level. This would enable organizations
RM>to leverage existing LDAP installations.  If LDAP is plugable (is that a word?)
RM>it should be a simple to configure and deploy -- avoiding overly complex
RM>bindings is important, IMO.
RM>
RM>In the LDAP area I suggest we adopt a dual strategy of supporting arbitrary LDAP
RM>installations via remote communications (LDAP protocol) as well as an embedded
RM>solution (i.e. embedded LDAPd). If we are serious about LDAPd, perhaps those
RM>folks could help with both strategies.

This was the next thing I was going to say in addition to my statements
above. Support of more than just an embedded LDAP soltuion is crucial
and that's what the JNDI abstraction will buy us.

RM>The one thing I'm not sure about i the Avalon coupling. If LDAPd is based on
RM>Avalon would it still work as an imbedable service if Geronimo doesn't adopt
RM>Avalon? It seems likely, but I think its worth asking anyway.

Good question. If Avalon will work as yet another service within Geronimo,
then I imagine that LDAPd would simply depend upon the Avalon service.

Bruce