geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Mulder <ammul...@alumni.princeton.edu>
Subject RE: RES: RES: Dynamic proxies
Date Sat, 09 Aug 2003 23:57:06 GMT
	Serves me right for speaking up before looking up...  :)

On Sat, 9 Aug 2003, Jeremy Boynes wrote:
> Are you sure? My belief is that ejb-link's are restricted to the same EAR
> but local interfaces can be used to access anything in the same VM. "A local
> client is a client that is collocated in the same JVM with the session or
> entity bean that provides the local client view and which may be tightly
> coupled to the bean." [1]

	Well I came up with this (J2EE 1.3 section 8.1.2):

"Deployment of a portable J2EE application must be possible using only the
application deployment descriptor and the J2EE modules (and their
dependent libraries) and descriptors listed in it."

	In other words, it seems to say that in order for an application
to be portable, everything it references should be in the modules in the
application.  Then under 8.2.1.3.a.ii:

"Dependencies that are not linked to internal components must be handled
by the Deployer as external dependencies that must be met by resources
previously installed on the platform."

	I guess we can argue over whether a different app previously
deployed counts as a "resource previously installed on the platform."

	Anyway, it looks like this one is open to interpretation.

> > 	Another way to approach the deployment problem is to allow the
> > redeployment of JARs/WARs within an EAR.  I think JSR-88 allows for that,
> > and in general it should be possible to autodetect what's changed in the
> > EAR (based on file sizes, dates, checksums, or something along those
> > lines).
>
> I didn't think so. It says redeployment "is valid for TargetModuleIDs that
> represent a root module. A root TargetModuleID has no parent." [2]

	Looks like you're clearly right about JSR-88 -- but that doesn't
mean we can't detect what's changed on our own, so even if you call the
API method to redeploy the whole thing, we can notice that one xAR didn't
change and keep the old one as an optimization.

Aaron