geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Mulder <>
Subject Re: RES: RES: "Virtual Hosting"
Date Fri, 08 Aug 2003 19:32:07 GMT
On Fri, 8 Aug 2003, Michael Remijan wrote:
> I thought it would be assumed that the NIO packages would be the way to go.

	Well, that's really a different question.  Question 1 is, should
we do something like I describe below?  Question 2 is, regardless of the
answer to question 1, should we write a bunch of NIO code to implement
our socket handling?

	I heard the initial releases of NIO were fairly buggy, but I've
also heard that 1.4.2 made dramatic strides in addressing that.  I don't
have any personal experience either way.  I'd certainly be open to going
that way.  But if we don't want to do what's described below, we can start
by just relying on Sun's RMI server implementation or something along
those lines.

> At 03:18 PM 8/8/2003 -0400, you wrote:
> >         Which reminds me, does anyone have any thoughts on the possibility
> >and/or wisdom of multiplexing all network communication over a single
> >port?  You know, HTTP, RMI, JNDI, IIOP, etc. all on the same port (sure, I
> >have 7001 in mind)?  It makes it darn easy to configure, firewall, tunnel,
> >etc. at the cost of (I assume) quite a bit of complexity in terms of
> >initially accepting the connection, figuring out the protocol, and sending
> >it to the proper handler.

View raw message