geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Mulder <ammul...@alumni.princeton.edu>
Subject Re: RES: RES: "Virtual Hosting"
Date Fri, 08 Aug 2003 19:18:41 GMT
On Fri, 8 Aug 2003, Denes wrote:
> I think that this can be solved or by assuming that this is an
> administration issue or by creating some kind of proxy that will listen
> in the default port and redirect the request to the proper service
> implementation (can't tell if this can be done for all J2EE stack
> components).

	Which reminds me, does anyone have any thoughts on the possibility
and/or wisdom of multiplexing all network communication over a single
port?  You know, HTTP, RMI, JNDI, IIOP, etc. all on the same port (sure, I
have 7001 in mind)?  It makes it darn easy to configure, firewall, tunnel,
etc. at the cost of (I assume) quite a bit of complexity in terms of
initially accepting the connection, figuring out the protocol, and sending
it to the proper handler.

> AFAIK this can be done by the classloader hierarchy (as in Tomcat). So,
> one could install the various J2EE components in a common place and
> configure each server to use the implementation that it wants to.

	Yes.

> Don't agree with the idea of installing the product twice because of the
> common services configuration described above, and because this would be
> a really ugly solution :), but I think that the two approaches can live
> together with no problems.
>
> Besides, I´m not arguing to separate the servers by separating the VMs
> of each server, although this sound like a good solution to me, if the
> VM's footprint don't become a issue to worry about. I'm just saying that
> creating several server directories is better than assuming a
> each-ear-is-a-separate-application policy or creating a config file to
> say how the ears are grouped.

	Do you mean, for example, one VM, but 3 deploy dirs, and
everything in a deploy dir is grouped together but separated from the rest
of the "deployments", and all the deploy dirs are started when the server
is started?  Then you can put one ear per deploy dir, or 10 EARs per
deploy dir, and it will just load things together which are located
together?  That makes sense to me.

Aaron