geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Mulder <ammul...@alumni.princeton.edu>
Subject "Virtual Hosting"
Date Fri, 08 Aug 2003 14:38:55 GMT
	I'd like to suggest that Geronimo should support running
applications in a "sandbox".  Which is to say, I'd like it to be able to
run several different apps, where each app can see only its own JNDI
entries, only its own DB pools, etc.  That also means each app should be
able to be packaged with its own config files / DDs.  I don't mind if the
server keeps an internal copy elsewhere, but I'd really like to be able to
just give an ear with all the configs it needs and have Geronimo run it in
a separate space from other apps.

	I guess this impinges in the JNDI discussion as well, in the sense
that a JNDI request from a remote client would need to identify the
application it's targeting, either via a suffix on the initial URL, or an
additional context parameter, or something along those lines.  So two
different apps could each deploy something at "/Foo", and as long as the
client specified which app it wanted to connect to, it would get the right
one.  This also lets different apps use different security realms, and
still secure JNDI.

Aaron