geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: Potential violation of copyright (was Re: Project Naming -Apache Geronimo)
Date Wed, 20 Aug 2003 19:20:17 GMT
Berin Loritsch wrote:
> Tetsuya Kitahata wrote:
> > Anyway, I think the reason of the objection might be able
> > to be found from here:

http://www.google.com/search?num=100&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=geronimo+soft
ware&btnG=Google+Search&lr=
> > Trademark issue ... (I am still not sure, though)

> Actually considering the feather used, that would be a something
> against the Geronimo HTTP server (in Italian)

The policy is that the project name should be free of existing software
trademarks as a prerequisite for entering the incubator.  Both
http://www.uspto.gov/main/trademarks.htm and that Google search were
checked.  Mind you, not all trademarks are registered with the US Federal
Gov't although that is certainly the best idea for a US-based entity.  If
someone sees thing that that they feel is a potential infringment, the
project's leaders and the Incubator PMC may wish to make sure that there is
no infringement.

The geronimo HTTP server appears to be a student thing, according to
babelfish (our Italian speakers can undoubtedly give a better translation
than Google or Babelfish).

On the other hand, http://www.apexdatasystems.com/geronimo.html: "Geronimo
is our dynamic, new Administration and Policy Management software solution
written with the power of Oracle. The system is written using the latest in
development tools from Oracle, Developer 2000 Forms and Reports using an
Oracle or other ODBC Compliant database."  Geronimo is one of their main
products, although there is no mention on the web site of trademarks related
to any of their products.

	--- Noel