geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: WebServices & UI team
Date Wed, 13 Aug 2003 23:25:58 GMT
> SOAP can be embedded underneath JMX remote if one wanted to.

Actually, you would do it the other way around.  SOAP over JMX Remote.  As I
read the JSR 160 specification, chapter 3 defines the RMI connection,
chapter 4 defines a "generic" connector that is dependent upon being able to
bi-directionally stream Java objects.

> My question is, why have a SOAP interface for server management when JMX
fits the bill?

I was trying to translate what I was reading here, not justify it.  However,
it seems reasonable to assume that system administrators may want various
means for administration, such as being able to write perl/python scripts.

> I am wary of a proliferation of management APIs unless I am mistaken and
> there is a SOAP spec out there for the management of J2EE servers.

A WSDL definition has to start somewhere.  You think you can find anyone
with J2EE admin experience around here?

	--- Noel