geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: geronimo and avalon?
Date Thu, 07 Aug 2003 17:58:04 GMT
Jason,

> I have had a look at Avalon several times in the past and very recently
> looked over some of the web pages...

FYI, the Avalon Frameworks have been stable, but Avalon container
development has gone through a period of change.  As of very recently, there
appears to be a hard won consensus on a single extensible codebase.  At its
core, that codebase focuses on how to build containers (sort of a Service
Provider interface for containers).  Actual containers are built on that
model, exposing the behaviors and interfaces necessary for components.

> I [hope] implement [an] enhanced loading, component model and
> deployment system.  It does not appear that any one system has
> all of the bases covered, which would mean that we would have
> a lot of hacking work to get something integrated and functional.

> perhaps we should start out with and outline of the core system
> services for Geronimo and the requirements for each, and then we
> can see which systems may be suitable for integration.

Sounds reasonable.  What do you feel Geronimo will need?

	--- Noel