geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Pranni" <prann...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: One True Way (TM) of handling configuration files
Date Sat, 09 Aug 2003 11:27:57 GMT

> I think this makes an excellent point:
> o GUI tools are better for administrators
> o Developers like files

Its not that developers like files, sometimes, for developers, files are the
only way to change the configuration. In my company we have to deploy and
test our application on a remote weblogic server, for which we have only a
secure shell access(due to firewall reasons) . We do have the luxury of
accessing configuration thru the admin console and modifying the config.xml
is the only way we can change the server's configuration. So providing the
configurations in a human-readable form would definitly needed in similar
situations and a normal (xml?) text file will be a better option for that.

-Prakash