geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Danny Angus" <da...@apache.org>
Subject RE: Geronimo standard Sun-API jars (JavaMail)
Date Mon, 11 Aug 2003 09:52:06 GMT
 Richard Monson-Haefel wrote,

> I think it would be a good idea to support Jame's current
> component model as
> well as providing an adapter that bridges the gap between Mailets and the
> Message Driven Bean model.  Both are useful.  For Geronimo the MDB adapter
> would be useful because it would allow James to plug directly into the
> message driven bean container system. There are some problems like
> transactional messaging (perhaps James addresses this I'm not
> sure yet), but
> overall providing Mailet support through the J2EE standard MDB component
> model, as well as the "native" James component is a good thing..

javaMail provides an interface for implementations of protocols.
James currently implements Mailet by passing every SMTP message, out going
or incoming, into a single message pipeline, this pipeline is the mailet
container and mailets are used to implement server functionality.
You know remote/local delivery, spam filtering, list serving etc.

This is partly achieved by allowing mailets to kill messages and insert new
ones at the top of the pipe, and partly by making the whole thing an
asynchronous spool, mail is put in at one rate and processed at another.

It should be equally possible to implement a J2EE compliant "mail service
provider" in the form of a "Transport" for SMTP which was itself a self
contained mailet pipeline, we'd have to look closely into the provider
lifecycles to see how feasable this is though.

In that way while javaMail is not well suited to building servers it would
still be possible to add Mailet to to our javaMail impl. for outgoing mail
in a compliant manner. :-)

d.