geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Danny Angus" <da...@apache.org>
Subject RE: [JavaMail] Re: Geronimo standard Sun-API jars
Date Fri, 08 Aug 2003 15:19:34 GMT
Alex,

> So we could use another implementation but provide a JavaMail API for
> it in order to work. How we could do that with the issues re: Sessions
> is a bit more problematic.

the problem is that there is a lot of code related to Mime parsing and
Address validation needed to conform to the RFC's in javaMail, there are a
lot of mail RFC's (http://james.apache.org/rfclist.html) and they would
require a lot of work to re-implement.

I'd be very wary about starting down the road of an Apache clone of javaMail
unless it really offers serious advantages.

Bearing in mind that any clone of javaMail would have to offer pretty much
interchangeable behaviour with the official product, particularly if it has
to pass tests, the issue of implementing the Store and Transport interfaces
is where we should start, and quite probably end too.

d.