geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Jeremy Boynes" <jer...@coredevelopers.net>
Subject RE: [twiddle] Twiddle is now booting Geronimo
Date Sun, 24 Aug 2003 21:16:13 GMT
Normally I try to be positive, but I am having a very hard time with this
change.

You have now made the core dependent on twiddle, which in turn is dependent
on a load of other things like commons-cli, forehead, classworlds, castor,
dunno what else. Do we really need to add all this?

What about all the other ways to start the server e.g. raw embedding, a
WinNT service, ??? Even a basic Windows bat script would be useful.

What about IDE support as well - I used to be able to just run the server
directly by invoking Main, but I don't seem to have that option any more.
What do I need to do to get this back again?

And where was the advance notice? I couldn't see any discussion on the list
and this wasn't exactly a zero-impact change.

All in all I think this was a bad move and would ask you to back some of the
more intrusive bits out - at least remove core's dependency on twiddle.

--
Jeremy