geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Jeremy Boynes" <jer...@coredevelopers.net>
Subject RE: One True Way (TM) of handling configuration files
Date Fri, 08 Aug 2003 16:58:27 GMT
None of these solutions seem to meet all the requirements.

In-archive files are a pita, triply so when the archive is packed.
Out-of-archive files are a pita when you are trying to move an application
through the release process (dev->integrate->test->stage->prod)
One-config-file (a la server.xml) is a pita when you have hundreds of
applications to deploy.

And all of this runs into issues with JSR88 (Deployment) which requires that
the container exposes JavaBeans for manipulating the deployment config
(including the vendor specific part) and uses an API for deployment (rather
than the copy-the-archive-in model typically used today).

JBoss took a two prong approach with its ServiceArchives (SARs) where you
could deploy a .sar archive with embedded metadata
(META-INF/jboss-service.xml) or a standalone metadata file (my-service.xml).
However, one problem not solved to date is of persisting changes to the
configuration so they survive server restarts.

One idea being thrown around was for an external config repository where
runtime changes could be stored - this could be XML files, or could be
plugged to be anything such as a config management system or database.

On deployment, the running configuration would be determined by:
1) the configuration in the repository
2) the configuration in the deployment unit
3) per-server defaults[1]
4) per-domain defaults[1]

Changes an admin made would be stored in the repository. If the deployment
unit was replaced whilst the system was offline, then conflicts would be
need to be resolved before the unit could be started.

Jeremy

[1] see JSR 77 for meaning of server and domain