geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Jeremy Boynes" <jer...@coredevelopers.net>
Subject RE: [Deployment] Deployment of packed wars ears etc
Date Sat, 23 Aug 2003 15:47:56 GMT
> From: Aaron Mulder [mailto:ammulder@alumni.princeton.edu]
> 	My feeling is that the deployer should unpack and prepare the
> archives and pass the container something like a ClassLoader and an array
> of DD references (probably a stack of XMLBeans/Castor beans for each DD or
> something).  I think we want the deployer service to manage creating the
> ClassLoader hierarchy across an EAR, and I would want to use the same
> Geronimo DDs regardless of which servlet or EJB container you have plugged
> in at the moment, so I don't think we'd do well to delegate everything to
> the container.

I'd go even further and say that the container should just contain the
runtime configuration and that the deployer should be responsible for
creating that. So it is the deployers job, for example, to build the JNDI
tree from the DD info rather than the container.

> 	One open question to me is, if we accept J2EE 1.3 and J2EE 1.2
> EARs in addition to 1.4, we'll have somewhat different XMLBeans for each
> version, so should the container interface have one deploy method per spec
> version, or should we not use XMLbeans in the interface and shoehorn all
> the XMLbeans data into one data structure before passing it to the
> container?

Given the spec's are largely backward compatible, why can't we have one set
of beans that support all versions? If we need different XMLBeans due to the
different DTD/XSD binding then fine, but this should be transparent to a
client using the DDBean/DConfigBean APIs.

--
Jeremy