geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <d...@coredevelopers.net>
Subject Re: [bcel] Is anyone a BCEL expert?
Date Fri, 22 Aug 2003 22:35:55 GMT
On Friday, August 22, 2003, at 04:30 PM, Jens Schumann wrote:

> On 8/22/03 05:11 PM Dain Sundstrom <dain@coredevelopers.net> wrote:
>
>> We are going to need some BCEL code which varies from simple to quite
>> complex.  If you are an expert or eager to learn, here is what we need
>> (from simple to complex):
>
> [...] A few examples creating bytecode [...]
>
> I guess I touch a sensitive topic here, but wouldn't it be better to
> approach a AOP style solution instead - maybe by using AspectWerkz or
> something. I think in the long run there is more involved than creating
> proxies for field interception only etc.

I would really, really, really like to delay the AOP framework
discussion to much latter.   We have just a few places we need byte
code generation, and not an entire framework.  If you have a *free*
tool that we *can* use that do the mentioned things easily, and
generates fast code (like bcel can), them please show us how (a patch),
otherwise I think we should just go with BCEL (for now).

-dain