geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From James Strachan <james_strac...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: Servlet and JSP engine
Date Tue, 19 Aug 2003 12:45:10 GMT

On Tuesday, August 19, 2003, at 12:55  pm, Vikram Goyal wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I have been following the list with quite fascination since it began.
> The
> volume of traffic has been quite overwhelming to say the least.
>
> I noticed early on that a conscious decision has been made to avoid
> developing a servlet and JSP engine and rather rely on embedding either
> Tomcat or Jetty. Is this correct?

Yes. The web container module is already in CVS - though I've
personally not tried it yet.

> If this is the case, is there a rationale decision for this? If we are
> developing everything from scratch, then why not the servlet and JSP
> engine
> as well? It makes more sense than embedding other implementations.

We're not developing everything from scratch. We're reusing any good
existing open source, which is suitably licensed, to create a full J2EE
stack. So for sure Tomcat / Jetty will be the Servlet engines.

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/