geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Dillon <>
Subject Re: [Error handling] NullPointer or IllegalArgument?
Date Thu, 14 Aug 2003 12:43:49 GMT
> I will only +1 the NullArgumentException if it is part of
> internationalizing
> our Exception.  So that NullArgumentException can print out:
>   NullArgumentException: address mosto non essere null

That is fine, trivial to implement, though I have never played with
message bundles and such, I do know that it is simple to do.

> Other than that - I often find that subclassing exceptions just
> results it too extra hassle when too often most try blocks
> end with catch(Exception e) and you may as well just have
> one Exception type:
>   class ShitHappenedException extends Exception
> But I think subclassing exceptions is good, if it is to
> add functionality about throwing the exception (rather than catching
> it).

Agreed.  The only function of NAE is to provide message formatting for
null arguments and null argument array elements.

It does make sense to internationalize the resulting message, just did
not do it.  Perhaps someone will do it for me (hint, hint... anyone)?

View raw message