geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Dillon <ja...@coredevelopers.net>
Subject Re: [build] Dependency management
Date Sat, 16 Aug 2003 16:09:00 GMT
>> The problem with this approach is that all modules now have extra
>> bits on their class-path, which is not desired.
>
> huh? If it is a common dep, it should be there, if its not, it should
> not be? Does not compute?

If a project has 10 modules, 3 of which depend on commons-logging it is
still a common dependency for the project but should not be forced to
be a dependency of the other 7 modules in the project.

>> Also, I have tried using SNAPSHOT for intra-project depends, but
>> Maven still tries to download newer versions from the remote repo
>> which is silly and just slows things down.
>
> http://maven.apache.org/reference/user-guide.html#Building%20Offline
>
> you can use the '-o' switch with maven to make it not connect at all.

Yes I understand this, but it is stupid for Maven to even try since
these are locally installed artifacts, which is why we have not been
using SNAPSHOT but instead use DEV.

--jason