geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Dillon <>
Subject Re: [build] Dependency management
Date Sat, 16 Aug 2003 16:09:00 GMT
>> The problem with this approach is that all modules now have extra
>> bits on their class-path, which is not desired.
> huh? If it is a common dep, it should be there, if its not, it should
> not be? Does not compute?

If a project has 10 modules, 3 of which depend on commons-logging it is
still a common dependency for the project but should not be forced to
be a dependency of the other 7 modules in the project.

>> Also, I have tried using SNAPSHOT for intra-project depends, but
>> Maven still tries to download newer versions from the remote repo
>> which is silly and just slows things down.
> you can use the '-o' switch with maven to make it not connect at all.

Yes I understand this, but it is stupid for Maven to even try since
these are locally installed artifacts, which is why we have not been
using SNAPSHOT but instead use DEV.

View raw message