geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From James Strachan <james_strac...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: Kernel Architecture (was [Re: JMX as a kernel ...])
Date Tue, 12 Aug 2003 11:48:52 GMT

On Tuesday, August 12, 2003, at 12:24  pm, Alex Blewitt wrote:

>>> I'd also like to suggest that there are different groups of
>>> architectures, such as a MicroKernel architecture (of which Avalon
>>> and HiveMind may be examples).
>>
>> Whats the distinction between them? Both JMX and Pico are both micro
>> kernel architectures too aren't they?
>
> I can't say for Pico, but JMX is a management extension, not a kernel
> architecture.

That doesn't mean you can't have a JMX based micro-kernel

> So it couldn't really be called a micro kernel, no.

So you're saying JBoss, Tomcat, Jetty and Geronimo for example are not
using a JMX micro kernel?  What would you call it then? How would you
distinguish a Pico / Avalon kernel from the JMX-based equivalent?

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/