geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From James Strachan <james_strac...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: [general] low signal, high noise
Date Thu, 14 Aug 2003 07:57:25 GMT

On Thursday, August 14, 2003, at 08:34  am, Jason Dillon wrote:

> It is not just about reading the list.  My comment was more general in
> that it is super easy to add & manage sub-groups so that folks do not
> have to worry about special prefixes and stuff.  Also a bit of a
> theoretical comment on why email is bad for large discussions like
> this.

The whole of apache works pretty well on email :). If you want to use
NNTP you can.

The only issue is 1 big list or lots of little ones. I far prefer one
big list - we can use filtering to hide stuff we don't wanna see. (You
don't have to read every mail!). However being able to keep an eye on
all the parts of Geronimo is extremely good. e.g. Jakarta Commons
developer list; you can filter by the prefixes you're interested in
certain things but then dive in to see other stuff happening from time
to time that may be interesting too. Works very well. With lots of
little lists its easy to fragment the community and for people to miss
things.

However in the future it might be worth separating out some stuff onto
different lists - though I hope we don't have to do that before the
community grows a bit first.

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/