geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Blewitt <Alex.Blew...@ioshq.com>
Subject Re: One True Way (TM) of handling configuration files
Date Fri, 08 Aug 2003 20:43:18 GMT
> I would rather see a parallel directory structure that would contain
> overrides for information in
> those descriptors, i.e.
>
> /overrides/myapp.ear/application.xml
>
> Would override the application.xml inside
>
> /deploy/myapp.ear

Why not make it part of the installation process? Does it really need
to be specified in an associated file? For example, deploy myapp.ear
with myapp.xml overrides.

I don't think that necessarily different directories may be the answer;
just write out the overriden state into the same place with a different
extension, such as myapp.geronimo.

> Or something along these lines.  Perhaps that data is in a database,
> or comes from multiple sources,
> or is managed by a GUI.  The point is, leave the original artifacts
> (EARs, WARs, JARs) alone, and
> augment them from the outside.

Totally agree with this one.

Alex.