geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Srihari S" <sriha...@blr.pin.philips.com>
Subject RE: New Deployment Verifier Project
Date Thu, 14 Aug 2003 07:45:26 GMT
Glad that u stressed on this:
"Geronimo should be useable as a whole J2EE stack or the parts should be
useable by themselves too."

But it is very important that the JSR88 team and the verification team work
closely on this and come to
some common understanding on how the JSR88 team will be using output of the
verification team.
There was some discussion earlier which suggested that what the verifier
team wanted to achieve could
be realized with java.util.jar packages etc. So all this led to such a
thinking i guess.

Nevertheless the since u have stressed on a vital point I have no issues in
the verifer remaining in the
Geronimo mainstream. But again i request that the two team work together on
this.

regards
Hari

-----Original Message-----
From: James Strachan [mailto:james_strachan@yahoo.co.uk]
Sent: Thursday, August 14, 2003 12:19 PM
To: geronimo-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: New Deployment Verifier Project

On Wednesday, August 13, 2003, at 09:09  pm, Weston M. Price wrote:

> Hello,
> 	Just wanted to get everyone's opinion regarding the removal of the
> Verifier
> engine from Geronimo and creating a seperate Jakarta project focusing
> only on
> the verification of J2EE based archives (app server independent).

-1.

IMHO it should just be another module (Maven project) inside Geronimo -
part of the same community but usable by itself. Geronimo should be
useable as a whole J2EE stack or the parts should be useable by
themselves too.

> As as been
> frequently discussed on this list, verification is not addressed
> directly by
> the deployment specification and can very well exist as a seperate
> component
> that can be used independently of a particular application server. Our
> primary concern would be, of course, a rigorous evaluation of a J2EE
> archive
> against a particular specification standard.
> 	This seperation would allow for a nice distinction between the
> DeploymentManager (as dictated by the specification) and a module that
> could
> provide enchanced services to J2EE developers and administrators.
>
> Let me know what you guys think. If it's a go, we can all plan
> accordingly.

We can still keep things modular & manage dependencies nicely within
the Geronimo project - we've already got a modular build. So Verifier
would have its own Maven build. e.g.

geronimo/
	modules/
		verifier/
			src/
				java/
				test/

etc.

We've already 3 modules in CVS to give you the idea.

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/