geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Blewitt <Alex.Blew...@ioshq.com>
Subject Re: [jndi] Have we found a JNDI impl yet?
Date Fri, 29 Aug 2003 11:28:35 GMT
On Friday, Aug 29, 2003, at 09:24 Europe/London, Lennart Jorelid wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> It is a rather big simplification to assume that the JNDI ENC will be
> static in runtime. I have worked with quite a number of applications
> where stuff bas been (re-)bound in the JNDI after initialization.
> However, I agree with Richard's general thought that the JNDI has a
> relatively small amount of bound objects, compared to the norm for
> LDAP.
>
> Using LDAP as the basis for JNDI seems idiotic - JNDI is trivial enough
> and unspecified enough that one realizes it is not thought to be a
> replacement for a database in a J2EE server. I say let's optimize JNDI
> implementation for speed - but not assume read-only operation.

You also have to consider the case when a clustered system is in
operation. Then, they are likely to need to share data that is
installed, and a sensible back-end may need to synchronize such writes
across a number of nodes/clusters.

I agree for a single-server environment, having an in-memory cache will
be the fastest, but having a switchable JNDI server will allow both :-)

Alex.