geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Nanduri, Amarnath" <>
Subject RE: What is the official name...
Date Thu, 14 Aug 2003 19:13:55 GMT
Found this on Yahoo Dictionary...

PRONUNCIATION: AUDIO: shkt, shäk-     KEY
NOUN: Inflected forms: pl. Shak·tis
Hinduism 1. The active manifest power that creates the universe.
2. The consort of the male expression of the divine, especially of the god Shiva.
ETYMOLOGY: Sanskrit akti, from aknoti, he is strong.

Amarnath Nanduri
AgilQuest Corp.
(ph) 804 745 0467 xt 127

-----Original Message-----
From: Berin Loritsch []
Sent: Thursday, August 14, 2003 3:00 PM
Subject: Re: What is the official name...

Jason Dillon wrote:

> Is the official name (well the official tentative name I guess)
> Geronimo or is it Apache Geronimo?

To avoid any future name clashes, it is best to incorporate Apache as part
of the name.  That way if Sony decides to market a nifty new box named
"Geronimo" then there is no confusion between Sony's version and ours.
BTW, that did happen with Cocoon's name.

Also, I remember in the pre-incubation conversations some reservations
about using the name "Geronimo" in the first place.  In fact, it is a
sore spot with many Native Americans, and Geronimo was a revered warrior.
Out of respect for the Native American people, we might want to look into
a name that is not necessarily connected with such an emotional bomb as

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin

View raw message