geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <d...@coredevelopers.net>
Subject Re: [General] Container interface and AbstractContainer
Date Fri, 15 Aug 2003 16:02:51 GMT
On Friday, August 15, 2003, at 08:05 AM, Alex Blewitt wrote:

> On Friday, Aug 15, 2003, at 13:59 Europe/London, Berin Loritsch wrote:
>
>> Jan Bartel wrote:
>>
>>> Or is a Service really just a Container?
>>
>> Speaking in definitions, a Service is a Component that performs an
>> action (as
>> opposed to represent a thing like EntityBeans).
>>
>> Services would include your different J2EE containers, and the things
>> that
>> they do.
>
> Surely then it makes it desirable to have a 'Thing' and 'Service'
> supertypes to distinguish between them?

I'm not sure what you mean by 'Thing' here, but JSR77 makes a
distinction between a resource and an instance of a resource (a
service).  So they have things like a JDBC Driver (a resource) and a
JDBC connection pool (a service).  Is that what you mean?

-dain

  * Dain Sundstrom
  * Partner
  * Core Developers Network