geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Blewitt <Alex.Blew...@ioshq.com>
Subject Re: DownloadTest Failure when working offline/ behind firewall
Date Fri, 29 Aug 2003 11:35:34 GMT
On Friday, Aug 29, 2003, at 10:51 Europe/London, James Strachan wrote:

> There's a standard maven way to disable the running of the unit tests.
> There are many goals which depend on this (site, jar, jar:deploy, dist
> and so forth). Creating aliases for every goal in Maven to exclude
> running of the unit tests doesn't really scale & makes things messier.

I question why those goals depend on tests. Surely it should be
possible to build a Jar file that contains some code with failed tests;
for example, if I am testing module X, and module Y has test errors
(that I neither care about nor need) then there seems no reason for
those to have to depend on tests.

I also would like to be able to build the project, then run tests on
the parts I am writing separately. I would therefore have to swap
between build commands/properties for the 'main build' and 'test my
components'.

> You're most welcome to hack your local copy of maven.xml to add
> whatever aliases you wish for things though. Or write a shell script
> for
>
> maven jar -Dmaven.test.skip=true
>
> and call it build-no-test or whatever you wish.

Already have done :-)

> I don't see a need to change Maven or our Maven build process for this.

Sure, if I am the only person who thinks that running tests every time
during development is annoying. I usually run tests after I've finished
coding something and need to check that it works (for the particular
module(s) I'm working on); but I don't need to test a whole bunch of
code that others have written (or in some cases, are still writing).

If anyone else has got any strong opinions about test running happening
too often and would like to comment, then please do -- otherwise I'll
shut up. I've got a hack/workaround which isn't elegant, but it works
for me.

Alex.