geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Blewitt <Alex.Blew...@ioshq.com>
Subject Re: [General] Container interface and AbstractContainer
Date Thu, 14 Aug 2003 10:56:00 GMT
> Though as soon as I did this something hit me - if you add a component
> by itself - and a component doesn't have an ObjectName (at least on
> the Component interface today) then how does the Container know the
> ObjectNames of the components? i.e. how can we implement the
> getComponentNames() method?

(a) I don't think the getComponentNames() adds anything that you
couldn't get yourself from the getComponents()
(b) Is it true that every Component has an ObjectName? I don't think it
does (necessarily), and I think this assumption could lead to bad
coding ...

> Maybe I've not grokked this code fully yet but either Container needs
> a getObjectName() or the addComponent() method should take an
> ObjectName right? This is echo-ing Jan's previous comment that
> Component should have a method...

The point of having a separate type for Component is that it should be
a component, not an ObjectName.

If you were writing

public interface JMXContainer extends Container {
}

then you might want to restrict everything having an ObjectName, but
that's not necessarily going to be the case.

Alex.