geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Blewitt <Alex.Blew...@ioshq.com>
Subject Re: One True Way (TM) of handling configuration files
Date Fri, 08 Aug 2003 17:29:25 GMT
> On deployment, the running configuration would be determined by:
> 1) the configuration in the repository
> 2) the configuration in the deployment unit
> 3) per-server defaults[1]
> 4) per-domain defaults[1]

I think a big question which has to be answered before picking up these
changes is: how is the configuration repository going to work? IMHO
storing a single config file in an XML file may result in a file easier
for humans to read (and, for that matter, servers to process) but
/really/ breaks down when you've got to manage changes. Even simple
things like installing a new app can be a big headache when the config
file is a file.

 From an administrator's PoV, it would be nicer if all configuration
could be done via an admin console, and for the repository to be stored
in a not-necessarily-human-readable form which was updated as the
config was changed via the admin console (e.g. Web app)

The big problems with XML files as I see them are:

o How would an XML file be treated if the server had to re-generate its
config file (because administrator(s) made a remote change )?
o How would changes that a text editor made to an XML file be re-read
by a config file?
o Would you need to restart the server and/or dump the new config file
to see the effect?

Ideally, the server should just be able to start w/o any forms of
configuration, and then for the rest of the configuration to be managed
dynamically. My preference, esp. for distributed clusters, would be to
use some kind of central repository config that elements interacted
with, and for that to be backed by some kind of DB. That way, the DB
can be replicated across multiple machines, edited synchronously and
minor changes won't need huge restarts.

Of course, the config may be seeded by/extracted as an XML document,
but I don't think that necessarily having the config stored as an XML
file is necessarily the right way to go.

Alex.