geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <d...@coredevelopers.net>
Subject Re: [i18n] Hardcoded message strings
Date Mon, 25 Aug 2003 19:03:44 GMT
On Monday, August 25, 2003, at 09:58 AM, Alex Blewitt wrote:

> On Monday, Aug 25, 2003, at 15:25 Europe/London, gianny DAMOUR wrote:
>
> org.apache.geronimo.mail.authFailed=Authentication against %{0} failed
>
> gives you a much better idea of where to look for what 'authFailed'
> means (and where it's used) than
>
> authFailed=Authentication against %{0} failed
>
> which could (potentially) be used by any part of the code-base.
> Further, %{0} in JavaMail may be used to represent the name of a
> store/folder, whereas the same message may be used against a
> WebContainer with %{0} as the userid, and then translations giving
> rise to discrepancies such as:
>
> authFailed=User %{0} cannot log in

Something about the idea of internationalizing exception messages has
bugged me since the discussion started, but I didn't know what until I
saw this message.

I think that the type of messages you have above are a very small class
of user exceptions as opposed to system exceptions.  Most exceptions
are things generaic things like IllegalArgument, like IO failed, or
transaction would not commit for some strange reason.  These normal
type of exception are not user display able, as a normal user would
have no idea what it means and your normal sys admin can't do anything
about.  On the other hand there are a certain class of exceptions which
are user display able and you have some good examples above.  If we are
going to take the i18 path, I think we should first divide exceptions
into internal system exceptions and user displayable exceptions.

-dain

  * Dain Sundstrom
  * Partner
  * Core Developers Network