geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From James Strachan <james_strac...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: Aspect based design ?
Date Fri, 08 Aug 2003 09:58:19 GMT

On Friday, August 8, 2003, at 09:51  am, Stefan Arentz wrote:

> On Thursday, August 7, 2003, at 19:30, James Strachan wrote:
>
> [About an AOP service]
>
>> However I see this as another aspect (forgive the pun) of the project
>> - an alternative front end to Geronimo. We need to get the back end
>> container working first. Then we can have some AOP project / module
>> later on.
>
> Isn't the main reason of using AOP that it makes the development of
> the container much more easier?

I guess it depends on your point of view. I understand AOP to be
weaving aspects (cross-cutting concerns) into your code. So I see this
as a nice way to take POJOs that are normal business objects or
services, devoid of any J2EE plumbing, and weave any J2EE aspects into
the code.

i.e. its separation of concerns for Java Code in a powerful way -
separating the business logic completely from the middleware & systems
programming J2EE code. This is why I see this as a separate layer /
module.

> Personally I don't care much (yet) about a service for users of the
> servers but I think it should be given some serious thoughts for
> container development.

Agreed. Though lets get the J2EE server ready first then lets figure
out how to weave J2EE aspects nicely into POJOs later on - or in a
separate parallel project.

Incidentally if there was gonna be some J2EE aspects, they should
hopefully be mostly J2EE standard apsects and so work with any J2EE
container right? So maybe its time for a separate AspectJ2ee project?
I'm sure Geronimo could eventually supply some custom Geronimo-specific
aspects later on down the road.

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/