geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Blewitt <Alex.Blew...@ioshq.com>
Subject Re: [build] Only run tests if something changed?
Date Fri, 15 Aug 2003 20:48:30 GMT
On Friday, Aug 15, 2003, at 20:45 Europe/London, Bruce Snyder wrote:

> This one time, at band camp, Dain Sundstrom said:
>
> DS>Can we change the build system to by default only run the module
> unit
> DS>test if something changed in the module?
> DS>
> DS>When we get integration tests, I would like the default to by
> default
> DS>only run the integration if something changed in the domain being
> DS>tested, but that is for the future.
>
> This is a good argument, especially as more tests are added. Does
> anyone
> know how this can be accomplished in Maven?

I can see where there'd be situations where you may not expect that,
though. For example, JavaMail depends on Activation, and I could change
something in Activation (and only re-run Activation tests) which breaks
something later in JavaMail.

Having said that, if you are trying to fix a bug, it probably makes
sense only to be able to run the tests in the module(s) you're working
in, instead of having to do all tests again.

Alex.