geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From James Strachan <james_strac...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: XMLBeans, a quick comment
Date Sat, 16 Aug 2003 08:01:17 GMT

On Saturday, August 16, 2003, at 10:09  am, Aaron Mulder wrote:

> 	I think what he means is that Castor, as configured, generates
> more or less POJOs -- if you look at the *Config.java classes in
> org.apache.geronimo.twiddle.config, there's nothing Castor or XML
> specific
> at all.  I take advantage of this too in the JSR-88 code I'm about to
> send
> out.  One of the advantages here is for JSR-88, you can populate a set
> of
> deployment information JavaBeans either from the JSR-88 DConfigBeans,
> or
> from an XML DD.  It's a one-liner to load or store an XML file, but the
> actual objects have no particular XML code in them.  (Granted, the
> separate set of XXXDescriptor objects *do* have the XML stuff.)
>
> 	That said, I haven't seen what XMLBeans generates, so I don't know
> how it compares.

The main differences as far as I can see are

Castor
* makes beans + separate Descriptor classes
* beans have no dependencies on Castor but the Descriptor classes do
* doesn't currently handle the j2ee schemas - am no expert maybe
someone could fix it?
* use the Castor API to marshall / demarshall

XMLBeans
* generates interfaces + implementations; implementations in a separate
package
* no descriptors (so javadoc is cleaner)
* fully supports XML Schema
* lossless (i.e. comments from XML config files preserved etc)
* generated code is dependent on xmlbeans.jar; e.g. the interfaces
extend XmlObject which provides a polymorphic way to iterate through
the beans as XML etc
* the XmlObject API allows you to do XPath queries, schema validations
at any time (useful in GUIs and such like) and various other XML
related things
* each generated interface has an inner Factory class for doing parsing
etc; so the use of xmlbeans API is hidden inside the generated beans -
so there's no visible external API

Right now I can't get Castor to work; hence the reason I looked at JAXB
and XMLBeans. So far I quite like the looks of XMLBeans in that it
works with the j2ee schemas, it fully supports XML Schema, has XPath +
XML Schema validation integrated and the lossless XML feature could be
handy. Only real downside is that the generated beans depend on the
xmlbeans jar. I'd also prefer just to create beans rather than
interfaces + implementations but thats a more minor thing.

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/