geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Blewitt <Alex.Blew...@ioshq.com>
Subject Re: [General] Container interface and AbstractContainer
Date Fri, 15 Aug 2003 17:06:28 GMT
>> BTW, they really aren't Java interfaces, but rather exposed
>> management interfaces, which are just naming conventions.
>
> grumble, grumble, snarl, spit...
>
> <rant type="stupid specs">
>   Why have a language feature like interfaces if you speicify in all
> your
>   JSRs that everything has to be done by naming conventions and
> reflection?!
>   I swear that stupid stuff like _forcing_ a naming convention or
> _forcing_
>   the use of reflection for a tool to work is IMNSHO a pile of dung!
>
>   I have been living for quite some time without having to do any of
> that
>   crap, and I can still get at all my services and components, etc.
> Not
>   to mention it operates quicker and is easier to manage and maintain.

I think that the creation of some of the key parts as interfaces (e.g.
Service/ManagedObject/whatever) -- that also follows the naming
conventions -- can then be made easier to (a) force implementors to use
those names, and (b) easier to code elsewhere. And it can /also/ be
managed by the JSRs.

IMNSHO that may give better performance, and we only need to
externalise the dynamic stuff when external tools talk to Geronimo, not
for itself internally :-)

Alex.