geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Dillon <ja...@coredevelopers.net>
Subject Re: [Error handling] NullPointer or IllegalArgument?
Date Thu, 14 Aug 2003 10:12:28 GMT
NPE should not be an IAE because it does not really fall directly with
in the domain of arguments.  For example if something returns a
String[], but String[4] is null when it should not be then it would be
appropriate to toss a NPE, though it better have a reasonable message,
else it is not very useful.

I think the original point of this thread was to determine if IAE or
NPE should be used when an argument to a method was null, I suggest
using NAE (in geronimo common) for this, which is an IAE.

However in the example above if the array was a method argument, then
an IAE would be better suited, though I would still suggest NAE and add
the index which was null for clarity.

BTW, I am not sure why I implemented NAE using an Object for index...
seems silly now that I think about it, but no time to fix at the moment.

--jason